The map was drawn by Hugh J. Hayes, a mapmaker, illustrator and draftsman who spent most of his life in Oregon. Before and after World War II, Hayes worked at the Oregon State Department of Forestry in Salem, Oregon. During the war, he served in the army with the 340th Engineer Regiment in Alaska and the Yukon Territory of Canada, working on projects related to highway construction, drawing maps, surveys and structure plans. He then spent almost two years in the South Pacific, drawing maps and designing bridges that had been destroyed. He returned to the Oregon State Department of Forestry in Salem in 1945. Until his retirement in 1993, his duties included drawing fire protection maps and safety cartoons, designing plans for guard stations and bridges, and illustrating field guides of Oregon trees.
The Keep Oregon Green Association is an environmental conservation and educational organization founded in 1940. Wildfire prevention has been an important part of its mission from the beginning. It is still based in Salem, Oregon, though it is now at a different address than when the map was produced.
Full publication information: “Compiled and drawn: Aug. 1 – 59 H.J. Hayes 1330 13th St. NE Salem, Ore. Printed & distributed by Keep Oregon Green Association in the interest of Forest Fire Prevention. Rev. 1-11-62. Keep Oregon Green Association — 275 State St. P.O. Box 411 — Salem, Oregon.”
“Hugh Hayes, 1914-2013, Obituary.” Stateman Journal. 9 July 2013. Online at Legacy.com: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesmanjournal/obituary.aspx?n=hugh-hayes&pid=165746400&fhid=7982#fbLoggedOut (5 August 2013).
“In the Beginning.” Keep Oregon Green Association. http://www.keeporegongreen.org/in%20the%20beginning.html (5 August 2013).