The name Belvedere refers to the outstanding view of the city offered by its location. The land for the palace was purchased in 1697 by Prince Eugène and later enlarged in four stages through 1721. Lower Belvedere was constructed between the years of 1714 and 1716. Upper Belvedere underwent construction from 1720 to 1723. Used mainly as a summer residence, the palace served as a place for festivities and receptions. It is a primary example of Baroque architecture of the 18th century.
This may be an early work by the British painter Marjorie Sherlock (1897-1973), best known for her landscapes and paintings in oils.
Condition: Generally very good with the usual light overall toning and wear. Deckled edges.
“Belvedere.” Hildebrandt Foundation. 23 December 2002. http://www.hildebrandtfoundation.org/belvedere.html (13 February 2003).
“Places to See.” Wien Information. http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Circuit/1682/english/tosee.html (13 February 2003).