View, New York City, Little Church Around the Corner, E. Hansen, Vintage Etching, c. 1930s
Little Church Around the Corner, N.Y.
American: c. 1932-40
Titled and signed in pencil, lower margin
Paper watermark: Vidalon
7 x 4.75 inches, plate mark
13 x 9 inches, overall
The Little Church Around the Corner, officially known as The Church of the Transfiguration, is an Episcopal church located at 1 East 29th Street in Midtown South. Built in 1849, the church reputedly received its nickname as “The Little Church Around the Corner” from the actor Joseph Jefferson in 1870. Thereafter the church became a spiritual haven for the theatrical community and the national headquarters of the Episcopal Actors’ Guild of America. It was designated a United States Landmark in 1973 and the building as depicted still stands today.
Condition: Generally very good with the usual light overall toning and wear. Some slight irregularities in toning from former tissue paper facing can be matted out for overall consistency. Some remnants of old hinging, upper margin, can be matted out.