George Frederick Cruchley (1796-1880) was an engraver and map and globe maker in London. He began his long career as an apprentice to the mapmaker Aaron Arrowsmith and opened his own firm in 1823, acquiring and updating some of Arrowsmith’s engraved plates. Although his primary business was as a map seller and publisher, he also offered general engraving services and surveying. He published popular maps of London and environs and travel maps and guides to the British Isles and European countries. Around 1844 -1850, he purchased the map and globe gore plates of the celebrated Cary family of globe makers, which was was founded by John Cary (c. 1754-1835), a map engraver and seller. John Cary and his brother William, a specialist in scientific instruments, produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes under the name J. & W. Cary. According to authors Collins and Lamb “John Cary in partnership with his brother William were one of the foremost London map and globe sellers of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. They built up a thriving and prosperous business, both as instrument makers and map publishers.” John Cary moved his business to 86 St. James’s Street in about 1820, leaving his premises at 181 Strand to his sons George (c. 1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791 – 1852). The sons produced a variety of globes under the name G. & J. Cary from 1821 to about 1850. Then, Cruchley, as successor, continued to produce maps and globes under the Cary name, as well as under his own name, until about 1876.
Rectangular Cartouche: CARY’S/ NEW CELESTIAL GLOBE,/ ON WHICH/ are which correctly laid down upwards of 3500 Stars/ Selected from the most accurate observations/ With the extent of each Constellation precisely defined/ London/ Made and Sold by G.F. Cruchley, 81 Fleet Street/ Republished January 1st, 1851.