This item is sold. It has been placed here in our online archives as a service for researchers and collectors.
A pine gavel, with simply turned head and handle, and having an engraved metal label in the center band of the mallet head, made of relic White House wood, and issued as a commemorative presentation or souvenir.
The White House suffered considerable damage during the War of 1812, and by the early 20th century, major structural restoration of the building became necessary. Some reconstruction took place in 1902 and 1927 and White House relic wood gavels from roof materials were issued at that time by various organizations, who affixed their own labels or metal plates with commemorative inscriptions. The most commonly encountered example from this period, a simple pine gavel, has a silvered band like this one, inscribed as follows: “‘Certified by Centuries’/ Northern White Pine after 112 Years Service/ The White House Roof 1815 to 1927/ National Lumber Manufacturers Association.”