This item is sold. It has been placed here in our online archives as a service for researchers and collectors.
Large black-and-white painted wooden sign bearing the name of the Riverside Rowing Club. The clever design combines the club’s name in block letters against a silhouette of a rowing scull as seen from above, with six oars on either side. Conventional sculls have four rowers, so the additional oars are probably artistic license to fill out the design. The sign has a metal chain for hanging.
This sign was purchased in Boston and is presumed to be related to the Riverside Boat Club. This club was founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1869 by Irish-American employees of the Riverside Press. Rowing clubs were popular recreational and social centers among the working class immigrant communities along the Charles River in Boston and Cambridge. They also fielded teams that competed in races, and Riverside was considered the leading Boston-area team, competing and winning championships on a regional and national level. Riverside is the only one of the numerous rowing clubs founded by workingmen in the 1860s and 1870s to have survived to the present day.
Garver, Richard and Kate Sullivan. A Brief History of Riverside Boat Club. 2008. Online at Riverside Boat Club: http://www.riversideboatclub.com/page.aspx?p=8 (4 January 2011).