Stearn & Sons photography studio was founded by Cambridge, England, photographer Thomas Steran (b.c. 1824), and took numerous Cambridge University team and group pictures during the first quarter of the 19th century. His wife, Eliza, was also listed in the 1881 Cambridge census as a “photographist.” Thomas Stearn pioneered the use of modern photographic techniques, and as early as the 1890s photographed the boat races from the banks of the river Cam. Stearn & Sons was still in business at its original Cambridge address in 1957. In 1995, Stearn’s photographic studio at Grassy Corner, a popular viewing point for boat races on the Cam, was rebuilt and restored to its 1892 state.
Condition: Generally very good with the usual overall light toning and wear. Photographs still clear and attractive. Backing boards with some light spotting and foxing. One corner of one backboard with crack, now restored. Frames with usual wear, three have been revarnished.
Ambrose, Don. “Brief Profile of G.B. Studd.” Cricket Archive. 2003-2004. http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Articles/1/1309.html (17 November 2004).
“EBC Officers.” Emmanuel Boat Club. 2004. http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ebc/about/ (17 November 2004).
“Fen Ditton.” British History Online. 2003-2004. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=18814 (17 November 2004).
Payne, Brett. “Derbyshire Photographers’ Profiles.” 2002-2004. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~brett/photos/rstearn.html (17 November 2004).