The Seutter family of cartographers were, together with the Homann family, the most renowned and prolific map makers of 18th century Germany, the leading center of atlas production at that time. Georg Matthäus Seutter (the Elder, 1687-1757) founded the family business in about 1710, after an apprenticeship with the Augsburg publisher Jeremias Wolff. Seutter worked in Vienna and then mostly in Augsburg, serving as Geographer to the Imperial Court (of Charles VI). He was joined in business by his son, Albrecht Carl Seutter (1722-1762). After Seutter’s death in 1757, his son, as well as engravers G.B. Probst and Tobias Conrad Lotter (1717-1777) (his son in law) took over the business publishing under the Seutter name for about 5 more years. Thereafter, Lotter continued to issue maps and atlases, generally under his own name. The Seutter family published a number of important atlases during the 18th century, most notably Atlas Novus Sive Tabulae Geographicae (various editions c. 1720-45) and Grosser Atlas (c. 1734-35). Seutter maps bear a similarity to those of Homann, noteworthy for their minute cartographic detail and often large and decorative cartouches.