Albert Leon Wilson was an American sculptor, art director, illustrator and photographer. He spent his early career as a graphic designer for J.C. Penney in New York from 1946 to 1954. By 1956 he had relocated to Rochester, New York, where he worked until 1967 as an art director, illustrator, and photographer, winning over 20 graphic art awards from the Rochester Society of Communicating Artists. He also made sculpture from metal, which he bent, welded, and cut into whimsical figures and animals. He apparently began exhibiting these in crafts fairs and galleries, and designing them for public buildings, in the late 1960s. His sculptures are in the collections of the Strassenburgh Planetarium, Rochester; the Roy Neuberger Collection in the New York State Museum, Albany; and were in the private collection of Governor Nelson Rockefeller. His commissioned works include the baptismal font and main altar for Faith Lutheran Church, Webster, NY; and for the Municipal Building Courtroom in Fulton, New York.
Condition: Fine overall with light wear and oxidation.
“Albert Leon Wilson.” Artprice. https://www.artprice.com/artist/194544/albert-leon-wilson/biography (21 May 2018).