In the top portion of the sheet, slogans in large block letters proclaim that the newspaper is “Strong, Clean, Enterprising” and has “The Largest Circulation Among the Best People.” The ad copy continues, “Rejoicing with its readers in the better times that reign, The Tribune finds itself enjoying its own fair share of the prevalent prosperity, and prepared to make all its editions complete, entertaining and valuable. The first aim of The Tribune is to be The Best and Foremost Family Newspaper of America,” further claiming to be “The Leading American Newspaper” even outside of New York, where, “It is acknowledged to be the Great Favorite Of The Farmer and His Family.”
The New York Tribune was founded by Horace Greeley in 1841and continued as a major newspaper until 1922, when it merged with the rival paper the New York Herald. During the 19th Century, weekly editions of the Tribune were widely read around the country. Built in 1875, the Tribune Building stood at 154 Nassau Street in New York City’s financial district, designed by Richard Morris Hunt. The building appears in the engraving as it looked before an additional 9-story addition was added to the top in 1905, surrounding the tower. It was demolished in 1966 to make way for the campus of Pace University.
The engraver’s name is given as R. Shugg, likely Richard Shugg, a New York City wood engraver who was listed in the city business directory as co-proprietor of McLees & Shugg from 1858 to 1860.
Condition: Creases from folds, as issued, few minor short tears and abrasions, all later repaired as professionally backed on Japanese tissue.
Groce, George C. and Wallace, David H. The New-York Historical Society’s Dictionary of Artists in America 1564-1860. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1969. p. 578.
“The New Manhattan Campus: Building for the Future.” The History of Pace. http://webpage.pace.edu/mweigold/paceplaza.html (3 November 2004).
“The New York Tribune Building.” Emporis. 2004. http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=102532 (3 November 2004).