Panoramic photo of Upper New York Harbor at the mouth of the East River, with Governors Island in the foreground at left, and the southern tip of Manhattan, which is about a half mile way, on the right. Beyond the building in the foreground on Governors Island is the open space surrounding Fort Jay. On the far right in the distance is the Brooklyn Bridge. A ferry approaches Manhattan.
Governors Island is the site of two early 19th-century fortifications: Fort Jay and Castle Williams. It was an American military post without interruption from 1794 to 1966. It then was operated as a Coast Guard Station until 1997. In 2003, the Federal Government transferred the island to the City and State of New York and the National Park Service (NPS). The National Park Service has begun running tours of the island.
Inscribed lower right: "C-85, Fisher Photos, Ft. Jay, N.Y." and with title, lower center.
Condition: Generally very good with only minor toning. Later backed for support on foamcore.
"Governors Island National Monument." National Park Service. 2003. http://www.governorsislandnationalmonument.org/ (7 January 2004).