Large panoramic bird’s-eye view of the Bronx, also showing Upper Manhattan and New Jersey on the horizon. The view depicts, in great detail, individual buildings, parks, tree-lined Grand Concourse and other streets. Beneath the title the map lists the names of two Bronx officials -- Louis F. Haffen, Borough President and Josiah A. Briggs, Chief Engineer. This map is a later version of one published by the New York Department of Street Improvements in 1897 whose lengthy title is almost identical to this one: Birds eye view of that portion of the 23rd and 24th wards of the city of New York, lying westerly of the New York and Harlem Railroad, and of the Grand Boulevard and Concourse connecting Manhattan Island with the park system north of the Harlem River. It is in the collection of the Library of Congress (see References below). Since Haffen was elected Borough President in 1898, the map shown here is a later version, printed as one continuous image, unlike the 1897 map which was issued as two 17 x 35.5 inch sections.
Louis F. Haffen (1854-1935) had a major impact on shaping the development of the Bronx. After receiving degrees in civil engineering and law, he became Parks Superintendent and then Commissioner of the Department of Street Improvements for the West Bronx until his election as the first Bronx borough president when the New York City boroughs were created in 1898. He was one of the planners of the Grand Concourse and other parkways, and oversaw their completion as well as the building of bridges over the Bronx River during his administration. Haffen was removed from office in 1910 by the Governor of New York on what many historians view as trumped up charges of corruption designed to diminish the power of the borough presidents. However, he continued in public service as a civil engineer and as a delegate to the state’s Constitutional Convention in 1915. The Bronx’s Haffen Park is named for him. Haffen, Josiah A. Briggs and James L. Wells later collaborated on The Bronx and Its People 1609-1927 (1927), a four-volume history.
Robert A. Welcke was a New York City lithography firm that produced other maps, including panoramas.
Condition: Generally very good with the usual light overall toning, wear, soft creases. Mounted on linen as issued.
“Birds eye view of that portion of the 23rd and 24th wards…” Panoramic Maps 1847-1929, American Memory, Library of Congress. http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/pmmapAuthors03.html under "William W. Klein." (6 January 2005).
“Haffen Park.” New York City Department of Parks & Recreation. 1999. http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/historical_signs/hs_historical_sign.php?id=11159 (6 January 2005).
Hébert, John R., ed., rev. by Patrick E. Dempsey. Panoramic Maps of Cities in the United States and Canada. 2nd ed. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1984. Item 540, p. 85.
Ultan, Lloyd. “The Bronx in History: The First Borough President.” Bronx Press Review. 8 January 1998. http://www.bronxpress.com/1_8_98history.html (6 January 2005).