Map of Bedford, New York
F.W. Beers et al.: 1867
Bedford Map
Detail of Bedford Map Detail of Bedford Map Detail of Bedford Map
Frederick W. Beers (1839-1933)(editor/cartographer/surveyor)
George E. Warner, et al. (surveyors)
Worley & Bracher (engravers)
James McGuigan (printer)
Bedford
from Atlas of New York and Vicinity from Actual Surveys by and under the direction of F.W. Beers assisted by Geo. E. Warner & others F.W. Beers, A.D. Ellis & G.G. Soule, New York: 1867
Hand-colored engraving
16 x 13.25 inches, printed border
17.5 x 14.5 inches, overall
$300

Detailed map of Bedford, New York, in Westchester County north of New York City.

Frederick W. Beers was a prominent atlas and map publisher from the Beers family of cartographers. In 1867, then located at 95 Maiden Lane in Manhattan, Beers published his Atlas of New York and Vicinity, collaborating with A.D. Ellis and G.G. Soule. In 1870, Frederick joined his cousin, James Botsford Beers (b. 1811), in founding J.B. Beers & Company, in New York. As this suggests, the Beers family members sometimes worked individually, and other times in collaboration with each other and/or with other surveyors and publishers. Between 1865 and 1900, the Beers family and collaborators produced atlases of more than 80 counties in 10 states, including Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York and Michigan, as well as city atlases, separately issued maps, and county histories. F.W. Beers lived in Brooklyn, where he was also employed as head of the map division in the Brooklyn Office of Public Records for 35 years. His long career continued until his retirement at the age of 90.

Full publication information: F.W. Beers, A.D. Ellis & G.G. Soule, 95 Maiden Lane, New York.

Condition: Generally very good with the usual overall light toning and wear.

References:

Allen, David Yehling. Long Island Maps and Their Makers. Mattituck, NY: Amereon House, 1997. pp. 94-97.

Ristow, Walter W. American Maps and Mapmakers: Commercial Cartography in the Nineteenth Century. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1985. pp. 406-409.