This item is sold. It has been placed here in our online archives as a service for researchers and collectors.
Pictorial map of the Forest Hills section of Queens New York, in the Art Deco style. Map indicates West Side Tennis Stadium and Club, Long Island Railroad, Queensboro Boulevard, etc. Decorative cartouche features tennis players, and compass rose has North pointer in the form of a tennis racquet. Border vignettes show various recreational activities in silhouettes, including nightlife club dancing, piano bar, card games, etc. A wonderfully nostalgic print when the borough of Queens was a major weekend leisure destination for New Yorkers.
The West Side Tennis Stadium and Club in Forest Hills, New York, first hosted the U.S. men's doubles tournament in 1915. Although this tournament was later moved to Boston, by 1927, when this map was published, both the U.S. men's and women's singles tournament were played annually in Forest Hills. In 1968, all singles and doubles events were consolidated into the U.S. Open Championships. The U.S. Open was moved to nearby Flushing Meadow a decade later, where it is played to this day.
This map from the collection of the George Glazer Gallery appears in the book You Are Here by Katharine Harmon, New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2004, p. 127.